Distance: 4.3 miles, small home yoga
Okay, quiz fans, here's your Thanksgiving moment. This is Ciwt's favorite holiday and she hopes you are having/had a truly lovely day. *(Extra credit if you know what year Felix the cat was the first balloon to float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade)
1. Thanksgiving is celebrated only in the United States.
True or False?
2.The first department store to hold a Thanksgiving parade was:
3. The Indians who were invited to the Thanksgiving feast were of the Wampanoag tribe. Who was their chief?
4. Which President was the first to establish Thanksgiving as a legal national holiday to be held the 4th in November?
5. What was the original name for the pilgrims?
6. The word turkey is said to come from the Hebrew word "Tukki" which means:
7. Which President moved Thanksgiving up one week to help stimulate the Christmas shopping economy?
8. WHY is the male turkey often referred to as "Tom Turkey?"
9. The first Thanksgiving in 1621 was believed to have lasted how many days?
10. Every year the President of the US pardons a turkey and it goes to a public farm called Frying Pan Park, Herndon, VA. (It's a very nice place!) Which president is believed to be the first to pardon a turkey and start this annual tradition?
1. F; Canada celebrates in October.
6. Big Bird
8. Myth:Thomas Jefferson wanted it to be the US's national bird which caused hilarity among other founding fathers - particularly Ben Franklin who wanted the turkey to be nicknamed 'Tom' after it lost out to the bald eagle. Reality: The male of many animal species are refered to as toms, especially when refering to turkeys and cats.
9. Three days.
*Extra credit: 1927. (Amusing story about Felix and other early balloons if you're 'up' for it).