Friday, November 23, 2012
Whence Black Friday -- Day 322
Walk: Sacramento Street, Laurel Village, Trader Joe's, Big O tires
Distance: 5 miles
Day after Thanksgiving is:
-Black Friday, (on and off it turns out but since 2005) the busiest shopping day of the year. If you wonder like I do what the name relates to, this is what Wikipedia has to say: The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term started before 1961 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black.
- The busiest day of the year for residential plumbers.
- Sadly possibly the busiest day of the year for Emergency Rooms.
- The day KFOG starts playing Christmas Carols only.
- This year a day the Dow soared indicating (to me) that we are just fine with our present and future president.
- The day my car had its tires rotated and front end aligned.
- A beautiful, clear, calm, quietly productive - you might say Zen grey - day for Callie and me.